[WriteLog] Split Functionality for Com Port

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Split Functionality for Com Port
From: w5xd@writelog.com (W. Wright, W5XD)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:50:51 -0000

> I would *just love* if WriteLog could do CW, PTT, FSK and rig
> frequency  control from the same COM port!  Surely I must be living in
> some sort of fantasy world, though.
>
> 73 - Jim AD1C

The fantasy is that the usual PC COMM port hardware has only 3
RS-232 outputs signals, TXD, RTS, and DTR and you named 4
functions that require outputs.

A PC COMM port also has only one UART and you named two
functions, FSK and rig control, that WL needs a UART to do.
And that's for both the TXD and RXD signals, so you're two
wires short here, too.

Its these limitations that lead me to make the FSK support on the
COMM port be the "odd man out". WL (as of the 10.18 release) puts
any combination of everything you named on a single COMM port
with the exception of FSK. FSK can only be combined with a PTT
signal, and the PTT signal that you get with FSK applied only
to the digital modes.

Wayne, W5XD