[WriteLog] What is RTTY?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] What is RTTY?
From: aa8u@modempool.com (Bruce Lallathin)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:16:07 -0400
I've never done RTTY so I'm a complete novice with this mode. Well almost
complete.

I followed the diagrams and built cables with isolation transformers in
them. The seem to work. I have an FT-1000D. The sound card is a
SoundBlaster AWE 32. I have the radio audio out going to the Line IN port
and the Line OUT going to the mic input. I think I've done that part right.
When WriteLog sends a .wav file to the radio in SSB it works ok and the PTT
works via the serial port. When the .wav file plays I see multi colored
level indication on the Windows Volume Control panel where the various
mixer level controls and indicators reside.

Now, getting closer to the point. When I type in the Type Ahead window to
send AFSK and hit Enter, the level control indication stays at one level
and dosen't change colors as on SSB. Maybe this is correct. Dunno. I have
no idea how much ALC to shoot for on the radio. I'm not even certain
anything is being transmitted other than a 50 watt carrier.

I have been reading the mail on some RTTY signals and getting fairly good
copy usually. I watched W1AW sending bulletens at several speeds and copied
several well. After that I decided maybe it was time to try to make my
first rtty qso. Well, I never got any answers and was not able to make
anyone notice me. I figure I must be doing something wrong here. This is
quite likely since I know very little about this mode.

With a RTTY contest on for the weekend, I would like to get this working
and make a few contacts. Anyone out there have an FT-1000D and using it for
RTTY?

Will I have to go purchase a terminal unit like the KAM or something similar?

Thanks,
Bruce
AA8U