CQWWCW Last Weekend

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: CQWWCW Last Weekend
From: jduerbus@marz.com (Joseph J. Duerbusch)
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 22:34:15 +0000
I just wanted to send a short note to everyone on how good WriteLog
worked during last weekend contest.  I used for the first time the
printer port to key the cw.  It worked just fine, no problems and the
page up and down keys controlled the speed just fine.

I used the telnet feature all weekend.  It was sure great.  There were
times that I was receiving over 20 spots per minute.  Since I was only
in the S&P mode, it was all I could do to click the spots and work
them.  I know this is not really radio or contest operation using the
spots but I only operate 10 hours and was really working hard at cherry
picking the rare ones.

The only complaint is the bell rang each and everytime a spot is
received.   I finally had to crawl under the desk and pull the plug on
the speakers.  Maybe there is a software command to turn it off.

Also, I was wondering if there was a way to only get the band/mode I was
on.  But later I figured that I would missed too much.  I was able to
work the XU1A on SSB and RTTY because of the spots.  Would have missed
them if I had the telnet turned on just for CW.

After the contest, I found that by going to VIEW/Packet Spots, there is
a window to filter the spots.  You can chose a band or have it follow
you and give you the spots for only the band you are on.  Pretty neat.
Would really help a single band operator.

Thats all from here.  Hope to hear from some of you about your
experiences with WriteLog.

73
Joe K0BX
k0bx@qsl.net