TU Software

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: TU Software
From: jayt@comtch.iea.com (Jay Townsend)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 08:48:44 -0700 (PDT)
Someone was looking for an "old" style RTTY program for use with a
dumb terminal. e.g. ST-6000, ST-8000, TU170, IRL, etc.

I have it and it can be FTP'd send me a note for the info on where to
find it.

The latest version of RTTYRITE seems to have fixed all of the
problems (small that they were) that I was having with the software.
I am working on getting my station set-up so that I can do some of
the things that the software allows you to do.

The power of Win95 in the enviroment of contesting simply can't be
ignored. In the last contest I was having a couple of struggles with
one of my computers and I was using the Hal Communications PCI-4000
on it. When I had that side of the station on 80 meters I decided I
would like to see what the ST-8000, would do as opposed to the 4000
on the low power 80 meter signals. I opened up a copy of my favorite
software in a DOS window and had the ST-8000 copying at the same time
as the PCI-4000 to see which was performing better. Not to worry, the
PCI-4000 worked pretty good, but nothing copies RTTY signals IMHO,
better than a ST-8000.

Actually tho, anyone who even worries about the quality of the device
used in decoding RTTY signals in a contest is simply wasting a lot of
time and effort. Almost anything works pretty good, and the score
that you make certainly doesn't matter much on what you are using to
demodulate the signal. Heck, Don, even uses a KAM!

I am spoiled...I like a scope and having two ST-8000's in the shack I
usually use them. But I run a P38 and a PCI-4000 as well. One of each
in each computer. I even have the Sound Blaster finally installed and
it plays up-to-snuff as well.

I have finally retired my PK-232 and my KAM, tho I used both with
quite a bit of success in years past. I did, however, pick up a old
CP-1 and have a recently constructed kit from Dayton that the
"florida boys" sell. That, BTW, is one heck of a lot of fun, and
something that you should do to pass the time in the winter. Putting
together a kit and learning a bit how to tune it will make for
interesting times.

Unless I am fishing, hope to CU in SARTG!

73 J

--
Jay Townsend, WS7I < jayt@comtch.iea.com >