[VHFcontesting] April 30, 2024 Schedule of Events.

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] April 30, 2024 Schedule of Events.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 11:09:47 -0400
A lot has been going on lately, but it is time for 222 MHz Activity Night. So, if you are busy with your everyday activities and lose track of time, please don't forget to get on 222 this evening.  If you are busy occupying Columbia University, Berkeley,  or other campuses, take a break  at 23:00 UT, and turn on the 222 rig and see if you can work a few of the hardy souls who get on every week for the gala Activity Night.  Most all of the contacts are SSB or CW, with a few FT8 or other digital contacts thrown in as well.

I am hoping to be on and will be looking for any and all contacts from here in FN43mj. WA1T is up in Northern Maine tonight with his newly programmed Chinese HT that covers 222 MHz.  Aim your bems NE and maybe he can hear someone!  I received a truckload of Rohn 45 sections last night. I slid them off the 18 wheeler tailgate right into my pickup truck and then drove them up to the VHF shack loation. It is exciting to finally get a 144 antenna back up and percolating.  I am hoping to have 144 operational this Summer for sure.

I was monitoring 222 MHz yesterday afternoon and caught a minor solar flare while checking Sun noise. Background noise went from 215 mv up to about 830 mv of audio noise when aimed at the Sun, but it would flare up past 1.5 volts of AC audio with the flare. It makes me want to pay close attention to the Solar indices in hopes of catching an aurora. Nothing is predicted for this evening, but it sure would be a hoot if we had an aurora on a Tuesday night!

So the activity starts after dinner about 23:00 UT (7 PM EDST) and goes until you get tired and want to get back to your tent on campus. WE all try to monitor the ON4KST (144/432 Region 2) Chat page and that is  a great way to let people know that you are on if you live off the beaten path.  It is a great way to set up skeds for difficult paths.  Fellows in the Midwest and Southeast also get on and it is a great way to test your station and exercise your rotator.

There have been rumblings from the 222 MHz Activity Committee that a few of the regulars have been missing of late. They do pay attention, and their executive decisions can be pretty harsh if you get them worked up.  Just a word to the wise from someone who is actively shoveling dirt on the East side of Mt.Moosilukee.  I hope to see you all on 222 this evening.

73

Dave K1WHS