Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night

To: newsvhf@mailman.qth.net, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 12:06:21 -0400
Hello Ron,

I was all excited to hear your signal on the 200 mw HT up here. It was just above the noise on sideband. So for miles per watt that works out to a 900 mile path if you ran 1 watt. Heh heh. Still, 180 miles with 200 mw is quite an accomplishment.  I did some more checking of the array last night, and the VSWR is stable. The week before, I saw the VSWR rising and lowering. At times, it was really bad and I did not even want to attempt to transmit into the antenna at any power level. It was three days after the ice storm, but it looks like there must have been a bunch of ice still on the array. From the ground, I could not tell. There sure was a bunch of ice on the ground at that point! So last night, the VSWR was constant and about twice the reflected power that I normally see, but not so bad.  I could run the amp and antenna without worrying about flashovers or who knows what. I could tell that performance is down slightly. I am guessing 1-2 dB from all the bent elements.

I made 22 QSOs on 222 and was trying with K9MRI at 01:45 to 02:00 UT on meter scatter. I was sending the entire time, but never heard a peep from Joe. I was hoping that we could complete a contact as I had heard several pretty good ms bursts from K3SK on both FT8 and Q65 earlier. So after I stopped at 02:00 UT K9MRI informed me that he had nine bursts from me. It sure is funny how that happens.  I can recall an event from many years ago on 144 MHz when I used to run a weekend MS sked with K0MQS, Dick Hart, in Iowa. It was the week before the Perseids and there were a bazillion meteors around. In our 30 minute SSB sked, I heard him on every sequence and often very loud with rather long bursts being common. I copied so many calls that i quit writing them down. I never heard a signal report. After the sked, K0MQS told me that he never heard a set of calls in the entire time. Sometimes, it just happens!

There were wild fluctuations in signal strength on just about everyone last night. The best I saw was W1AUV, who called me when I was transmitting  CQ West at about 260 degrees. Tommy was 579. I sent a report and he came back at an almost inaudible level. I swung the beam to 245 degrees or so which is his true heading and finished the contact, but he was only 519 at that point. My yagi pattern is about 12 degrees wide at the 3 dB point.  I figure the QSB was more than 25 dB. Wow!     I had a hard time trying to work WA3EOQ in FM09. It took several calls before Walt peaked up enough to copy. I think I am seeing the slight degradation from the ice storm. 1 or 2 dB hurts when signals are in the noise level.

Thanks to all who got on and made some QSOs. It was fun to hear K3TUF again, and AA2SD had a nice signal as well.  I am hoping that W2KV appears too.

73

Dave K1WHS