[VHFcontesting] It is 222 Night folks!

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] It is 222 Night folks!
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 11:49:14 -0400
Hi VHF ops,

It is Tuesday and I am planning to be on this evening starting at about 23:00 UT on 222.100 for an exciting 222 Activity Night. I had problems last week on Tuesday, with a very high VSWR on the 4 X 22 El yagi antenna.  It acted like there was water in a feedline somewhere. All this was caused by a horrendous ice storm and my hilltop shack was apparently Ground Zero  for the storm.  The icing happened on the previous Saturday night and we lost power for several days. When I got up to the shack on Tuesday, I found chunks of ice that were still 1" thick laying on the ground. Ice amounts at my house were less, at about 3/4" thick.  I also discovered the reason for the high VSWR as soon as I got close to the array.  The very high winds kept me off the tower until April 1. I climbed the 100 ft Rohn 45 expecting to find water damage. On the way up, I started to notice much ice damage to the bottom two yagis. Large ice chunks fell off the top yagis and damaged the two lower ones. I counted eight elements that were bent about 60 degrees from horizontal. This is surely messing up the VSWR. In addition, the front brace on one of the yagis is broken and hanging in mid air.  To make matters worse, I have a couple of sprained fingers on my left hand. That makes tower climbing difficult and a bit unsafe for me. I wanted to get started with repairs, but the bum left hand stopped me. Another 7-11 inches of heavy wet snow and 50 mile winds are predicted for Wednesday and Thursday. I am worried that I may lose one of the damaged yagis as a result. Needless to say I am a bit less than in an optimistic state of mind.  Truth be known, I was thinking of slitting my wrists, drinking Drain-O,  and then jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge.

I did take the main flexible feedline off the 1 5/8" main feedline at the 100 ft level, and looked at the antenna VSWR. It was not great, but did not show any signs of water entry. All of the high VSWR is probably due to damaged elements on two of the yagis. So I will, get on for activity night and then pray that things hold together until I can recover enough to repair the array after the next bad storm. Sheesh!

So I hope to work a few stations tonight. Please make an attempt to get on and exercise your 222 gear.  You can monitor ON4KST 144/432 Region 2 Chat and set up skeds and see who might be active. And please report your results. I will be looking for W2KV and others. I hear that Dave W2KV is setting up a new 222 yagi.  I will use my damaged antenna and hope that it still has some gain. From what I am seeing, it has lost a bit of performance as compared to my fixed yagis on 222, but it still sort of works.

CU this evening!

Dave K1WHS