[VHFcontesting] Tuesday 222 Activity Night plans

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Tuesday 222 Activity Night plans
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 12:50:07 -0500
As Tuesday approaches, I figured that it might be a good time to evaluate your 222 setup with an EME test. The Moon will be setting on Tuesday and my Moonset is at 0300 UT or 10PM in New England. If you have a typical 222 antenna setup, your best angle for hearing an EME signal is at 15 degrees and below. If you have stacked antennas, then you will do best below 10 degrees.  When my Moon sets here in Mumbo Jumbo land, it will still be up at about 5 degrees out near Rochester NY.  If you live down near K3SK in Southern VA,  the Moon will be also at about 5 degrees. I am hoping that someone else promises to be on EME after the Moon sets here in Maine. That is one reason for this e mail.  If you have EME capability, and can get on then, please let us know. EME condx are pretty good for Tuesday.   A long single yagi and a good receiver should work.

I will be playing on 222 Activity Night up to about 0200 UT, but the next hour from 0200 to 0300 UT I will be on 222.080 onQ65B with 60 second sequences. I will be on the 2nd sequence. This would be a good time to familiarize yourself with Q65 and WSJTX if you have not done so already. There are a few things that need to be checked.

1. Under the GENERAL TAB in the menu, be sure to check the DECODE AFTER EME DELAY  box. You might also check the ENABLE VHF MODES box too. It will come in handy at times.

2. Double check the Q65 screen after you select Q65 as your operating mode. It is always a good idea to look at the sequence length. Set it at 60 seconds, and make sure you have selected sub mode "B" .  Also look at the F TOL box and select 500 or 1000 Hz if you are unsure of your frequency accuracy.  It will scan a wider area for the signals you want to decode. One problem I run into with WSJTX is that it changes frequency on me when I adjust some small parameter and I do not see it at first.  It is a vexing problem. The trick to avoid this is to remove any pre determined frequency from the drop down frequency list for WSJTX.

3. Remove a preset frequency for Q65 on the 222 MHz band. Simply select  the SETTINGS TAB, and then select FREQUENCIES. Scroll down the list looking for any 222 MHz entries. If you see one for 222 MHz Q65, erase it.  That will eliminate the problem.

There are other shortcuts and important things to do, so if anyone has any more  traps that they have fallen into, be a good guy and let us all know how to avoid them.

So Tuesday evening promises to be another exciting evening for 222.  I was up on the tower a few days ago and straightened out my twisted antenna, so all are pointing together again and I am not as verklempt about it looking so bad. The weather up here in the North has been really fine, but some significant snow is predicted for Tuesday and tuesday night.  We could get 10 inches of the stuff. All this is due to Pete K1PXE who says it always rains or snows on Tuesday.  Thanks Pete.  It will be enough to make things miserabobble.  Looks like another snow shoe event for Dave. I am trying to get some diesel fuel hauled up the hill today. There is still much snow and the truck gets bogged down. I may have to shovel parts of the hill to get the fuel up there.  More fun and games!!

Circle the time for Tuesday evening on the 222 band. Shine up those elements!!

73

Dave K1WHS