[VHFcontesting] The Fantastic 222 MHz Activity Evening

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The Fantastic 222 MHz Activity Evening
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 10:54:50 -0500
OK folks, it is Tuesday and you still have time to get ready for the fun on 222 MHz that starts around 7 PM on the East Coast and migrates westward. Most stations stay on for about 1-2 hours. That is enough time to work all or most of the folks who are on and making noise.  After about a week and a half of cold temps and no sunshine, the Sun finally came out and the ice is all removed from my antenner system. I am not sure about the Northern contingent in Vermont. I noted that N1JEZ had more ice than I had. My ice coating was a bit of ice and then snow that stuck to it.  Mike had much more solid ice and it had a milky appearance.

I will do some antenna work today and see what I can do to straighten the twisted yagi in the H frame. There is little wind and 100% Sun with temps in the 30s.   I am hoping that we get a big turnout of activity. The weather around the country looks great except for California. All of their moisture is running up North across the Rocky Mtns, so lots of snow there in the mountain areas, but the rest of the country is quiet.  So, no excuse for not getting on 222 MHz. Put down your smart phone and grab your mic or key and get on 222.100 MHz after dinner and see what happens.  I am very excited as I missed last week due to all the ice and inclement weather.  My road to the shack is not passable in the truck, so I am walking up and hoping that there is no real damage to things. That was a very heavy and wet snow last week.

There is no Moon available this evening, so all my operation will be on the horizon only. It seems that EME is the only reliable way I can contact K3SK in FM07. He is at 575 miles and path loss is well up over 200 dB when looking at the horizon. We will have to try  a sked just to prove that we can't do it. Heh heh.   Make your presence known on the ON4KST Chat page. This is important if you live far away from regular activity.  Let people know that you are there and they will look for you.

I plan to be on 222.100 about 23:45UT looking for contacts. I will be back from my stint at the Indian Call Center where we try to sell fake Medicare benefits, so a few contacts on 222 will help clear my mind.  I hope to see many stations on the air.  Putting on my Indian accent is difficult for me.

73

Dave K1WHS