[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Report

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Report
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 23:28:31 -0500
A very interesting evening. I am sure many ops were burned out from the big
January Sweepstakes, so Thanks to those who made it on the band this evening.
Some stations were very weak this evening, while others seemed rather normal.
That was the observation here in Mumbo Jumbo Land. There was a huge swath of
bad weather moving in from NE to SW between Maine and the CT shoreline as well
as out west to New York state. I suppose we can blame the weak signals on this
disturbed area. Several ops noted the same degradation.
Stations worked include
KA6U    EM31    EME     very loud
K1FSY   FN31    much QSB
WW1Z    FN42
N1LHP   FN42
WW2Y    FN20    fantastic signals ?
WA1NLG  FN41
W1GHZ   FN34
WA1PBU  FN42
K1PXE   FN31
N2JQR   FN13
N2JMH   FN13
W2BYP   FN12
K2AEP   FN32
VE2XX   FN25    much QSB good peaks though.
K3SK    FM07    EME
K1FMS   FN32
W1AIM   FN34
VE3FN   FN25    much QSB 599 to 559
WA2LTM  FN20    Good signals
WB2RVX  FM29    Good signals
WZ1V    FN31    weaker than normal.
KC3BVL  FM29    QSB
WA3EOQ  FM09    weak but relatively easy.
W9KXI   FN12    much QSB
I tried an impossible shot with N8EMS almost into Illinois. Nil heard. I also
tried with K8TQK at about 700 miles with no results. I did work K3SK vis EME
but had no luck over the horizon at 575 miles.  WA3EOQ was an easy contact but
there was an unusual flutter on Howard's signal at just over 500 miles.
The Moon was well up at 23:00 UT and KA6U was banging away via the Moon route
from the K5QE station in Texas. Even with my damaged antenna system, he was
peaking at -12 dB  on Q65. K3SK was also QRV on the Moon. No other lunar
signals were copied here.

It looks like only WZ1V has produced the required 20 contacts so far, to
qualify for the all expense paid vacation package. Hopefully, some more winners
will surface in the coming hours and days.  The 222 Activity Committee has been
very generous this week with such a fantastic award. Thanks to all who got on
and made noise on 222 this evening.
73
Dave K1WHS