[VHFcontesting] Hello VHFers

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Hello VHFers
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:23:27 -0500
This is a friendly reminder that it is another Tuesday in a long line of Tuesdays.  Of course, Tuesday is THE day when all the 222 MHz fellas and gals get on the 222 MHz band and yak up a storm. This gives a good indication of how well (or poorly) your 222 setup is working. After all the wind storms, tornadoes, ice, storm surges, and what-not, it is a good idea to give your setup a quick check just before the ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes. Sometimes, little gremlins sneak into the system and can wreak havoc. You might not notice the trouble if you do not try things out. A test on Tuesday can give you time to fix things before the big weekend coming up.  Other times, the problems are obvious and easily spotted. I always think of the ham in Stoneham, MA. I think his name was Kevin. He was operating his VHF station on the 2nd floor during a bad winter storm. All of a sudden, he saw his HF rig start to slide a bit backward and to the right.  Then in a big crash, the rig along with his transverter and SWR meter all took off and flew out the window as his house bracketed tower came down in the storm. He was left with a broken window, shards of glass, some snow flakes, and an empty desk.

Things are looking like the dead of winter here in Mumbo Jumbo land. It is snowing to beat the band and was in the teens over night.  With all the snow on the ground again, it looks like I will have to hike up to my shack with my snow shoes. I have not been up there since the last storm, so am not sure if everything is still there. The last I looked my array was slightly damaged with one of the yagis twisted on the mast and pointing inward. At least the four yagis were in one piece.  I swear that when 60 MPH winds are predicted, I get 80 mph winds on that ridge. It is especially bad with NW winds as the winds get funneled down a valley and then get pushed up against the ridge lines. The same idea happens on Mt Washington to greater effect as west winds get pushed up a larger valley and Mt Washington then acts as a blocking force to those winds. The wind speeds get crazy as a result.  But I digress.....

So my plan is to hike up the hill and try to be on by about 00:00 UT. I am hoping that I can do it and everything works. That requires the diesel genset works and that there is no condensation in the unheated shack. It probably was 14 degrees in there this morning. s things heat up, water can appear and cause all sorts of trouble. I'll check things out when I get there. Do not be surprised if I do not show up on 222.100.  I will try.  A few years ago, Crazy Wayne, N6NB was here on the East Coast in winter and wanted to work me on 50 MHz. I balked a bit as I was worried about the intense cold in the shack and the effects of condensation.  Well, I decided to go ahead with the plan, and turned on the genset and warmed up the big six meter amp. Then I hit the HV switch. The step start circuit started up but when it went to full voltage, an arc over just about blew out my ear drums. 5300 volts from a 208V 3 phase supply and a 40 MFD filter cap sure left a mark. Some aluminum got vaporized and I retreated rather quickly. Wayne never completed the contact.

So dust off your key, shine up your computer keyboard, and rub RF grease on your aluminum elements because tonight is the night for some 222 MHz fun.  Remember to watch the ON4KST 144/432 Region 2 Chat page for action and skeds with far off locations etc.  The Moon is elevated and in a good spot this evening. Not a good night for horizon only, unless you live on Midway Island.  I will be monitoring HB9Q Chat page in case any EME stations are QRV.  My busted up antenna might still work for EME.

CU (I hope) on 222

Dave K1WHS