[VHFcontesting] Tuesday is 222 Activity Day

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Tuesday is 222 Activity Day
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 11:58:20 -0500
Hello folks

Yes I know there is plenty of buzz about all the neat contacts that are being made on 222 MHz.  Still, I figured that I should remind folks that another Tuesday is upon us.  As I am writing this, I am sure that AJ6T near Nashville is waxing his feedline with Carnauba RF wax to increase its' RF conductivity. I am also sure that Good Buddy Ron, WZ1V is trimming trees in his neighborhood to reduce ground clutter in hopes of snagging another contact on 222 for this evening.  These last few weeks have featured increased activity on 222, and with the January contest coming up, what better way to prepare than to get on 222 and exercise your gear to prepare.

The northern states have been dumped on with lots of snow. I measured anywhere from 10 to 15" of snow around the house. There is no way I can drive up to the shack. The berm along the main road is so high that I can't even get my truck onto my woods road.  So I will be snow shoeing up the hill tonight.  That will be a good cardio exercise as the elevation gain is about 200 ft up to the shack.  The good news is that I do not need to haul any gear as my industrial 12 volt computer seems to be working just fine in the cold wx, so I can leave my laptop at home.

Last week was pretty cool as a few of the western NY and Toronto (Tahranna)  stations showed up and added to the fun.  So please try to get on and make some noise. Announce your presence on the ON4KST  144/432 Region 2 Chat page.   I hope to be up and running a bit before 00:00 UT or 7 PM eastern time.  Tune around 222.100 and then move off as activity increases.  One good reason to move off 222.1 is that stations out in the hinterlands might be CQing there and a local round table on 222.100 will mask those weak CW signals.

I am still trying to get my mis aligned yagi fixed. Wintertime is not a good time for such antenna work, but I am hopeful.

I am giving a 222 MHz rah rah talk at the local radio club on Wednesday. I want to explain how you need to set up the station to maximize performance on VHF. It sure is a different angle when compared to HF.  The plan is to inform them without putting them to sleep.  Many of them are new hams.  I will mention the 222 activity nights and the 222 Amplifier project.

So turn on the 222 rig this evening and make some noise.

Dave K1WHS