Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 09:16:15 -0500
I would echo Good Buddy Ron's statement. The activity level was way up when you consider that it is winter and we are listening on 222 MHz.  I had similar success but did not hear K3SK in FM07. That seems to be a bridge too far for us folks in the North of New England.Dave K3SK is about 575 miles from me here, and I think I have only worked him once via tropo on a Tuesday night. With my new computer setup, my log is now stuck up on the hill for the time being. I am going by memory, but I had 24 QSOs and missed K3SK and N1GLT on Ron's list. I added WW1Z, N1ROZ, and K9MRI in EN70. Joe was worked using MSK144 as it was the beginning of the Geminids and there were some meteors about. We worked in about 10 or 15 minutes.

Now I have to figure out how to access the computer from home so I can get started on trying to remote op the setup.  I have some work still to do, as I need to run a heavy 12 VDC line into another building so the computer stuff can run efficiently off the battery directly. Then I have to power the microwave link to the hill with a permanent 24 VDC power source. That link has to be powered up all the time.  More fun and games for sure.

I was thinking about the activity level, and things are definitely looking up. Many folks were missing for various reasons, but more are filling in with their activity. KC2SGV, AA2SD and N1LHD are active. N1LHD added an 11 element yagi to augment the 1/4 wave vertical. I t made a big difference. WA3SSG is a new station too but he was not on last night.  N1JEZ in FN44ar had icing problems with his antennas. Many of the other regulars were absent, but that is only temporary. Hey it is the time for Christmas parties with Christmas cookies and hot chocolate. It is a wonder that anyone gets on so Thanks to all who showed up.  I could see plenty of action around the midwest and in the SE too. N1GC was on along with AA9MY, AJ6T and many others. They were all on ON4KST setting up skeds. It is great to see that. Just imagine when we get a rip roaring aurora or the next big tropo event. All these folks will have a 22 setup all tweaked and ready to go with proven performance. These weekly activity periods and the nets run on other bands can show up problems that seem to creep in at the worst times. I think of a small aurora we had this past Spring and I was hearing N4PZ in Chicago very well on 222, but he was running with a bad preamp.  The activity nights showed up the problem. You have to be ready when those good conditions appear. I just did some work on my 432 PA and even replaced a Superflex jumper with a 1/2" LDF jumper on the output.  The Superflex was getting warm while the 1/2" piece is cool.

I noted that condx to the SW seemed pretty decent, but from me to the west and northwest, I thought things were down a bit.  My weekly attempt with WA3EOQ was rather easy this week. Howard indicated that he was turning his antenna my way, so I went looking for him. When I spun the dial, I immediately heard him calling and sending his grid. I did not respond to that, but just sent calls and he was right back again with RRs and his grid again on the next go round. He was in there continuously at Q3 or maybe Q4 at times. When I signed with WA3EOQ, I heard Good Buddy Ron WZ1V calling him, and Howard then peaked up to a real Q5 and I copied every dit and dash he sent.  I keep marveling that 100 watts can traverse 501 miles on 222 MHz every Tuesday.  AA2SD and KC2SGV were worked on SSB and those are pretty impressive contacts as well.  WA4YA was on FT8. I did try with KE8FD on FT8, but we heard nil. Gary has a good setup in EN80, and I suspect we can work during the late summer time period with just a little enhancement.

In other news, I am still looking for VE3KG in FN24. He has a shiny new 500 watt PA to get going.  Another amp is now in FN10 at W3CMP,and he is working on getting going on 222.  FN10 and FN24 are rather rare these days, so it will be nice to have regular activity from there. It sure would be great to get a 500 watt station up in VE1 NS, or PEI . We all miss Bernie VE1UT.  I am still trying to find a home for the last 500 watt amp!!

Enough for now. Merry Christmas and CU next Tuesday.

Dave K1WHS