[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night Announcement

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night Announcement
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 12:04:42 -0500
Hello VHFers

It is Tuesday. It is also winter, but that is not stopping the fun that always happens on 222 MHz on any Tuesday.  We have had snow over the last three days and it has covered the ground in a few inches of the white stuff.  This all makes driving up to the shack difficult.  The guy who repaired the road last summer classified it as a "path".  It is a tad rough.  I had to put in a culvert to divert a small river and I made the mistake of cutting a 20 ft culvert in half, figuring that a ten ft wide road was wide enough. Factor in slippery roads and a layer of snow and that ten ft looks awful small.  I had to put in metal posts to mark where the culvert is so that I don't drive into the ditch.  As Rosanne Rosanadana used to say "It's always something!".  I have to be very careful navigating that culvert now.

I am hoping to inaugurate the new shack computer this evening. The old desk top unit was crashing with cold temps, and it got pretty bad. Sometimes, it would not respond when turned back on. I removed it and have been working on loading up software etc on the new industrial mini computer in hopes that it works better than what I had.   There is no heat in the shack that contains 222 MHz.  I have to rely on electric heat and the big generator. Hauling diesel fuel in the winter becomes a problem. No oil dealer can get up there, so I have to supply my own fuel in small containers.  So we will see how far I get this winter for 222 Nights. I am hoping I can get through December anyway.  January and February can be brutal. Heavy snow will make things impossible.

So I loaded all the software on the computer and it is about 75% done.  I am hoping that I can run the WSJT-X program along with my logging program off the same COM port.  I took a hint from N1JEZ and am using a program called VSPE to accomplish that. We shall see how it works.  If it does work, it will be great to have a bigger screen. My laptop has a 12" diagonal screen and having WSJT, ON4KST, and my logging program all taking up screen space was a challenge.  The new setup has two monitors if I can fit them in the small space.

If you are new to the 222 activity, just try to get on and look for stations on 222 MHz after dinner. On the East Coast, that is about 00:00 UT.  Modes are  SSB, CW, FT8, Q65 etc.  No one has claimed an FM contact yet.  I am still researching 223 MHz FM activity around New England. It id sparse up in the North.  We gather around 222.100 and move off the calling frequency when things get busy.  The midwest can be quite active with several well equipped stations there capable of long distance contacts. There is activity in the SE. A few stations are always there looking.  Set up skeds with anyone on the ON4KST chat page.   URL follows:

http://www.on4kst.info/chat/index.php

Be sure to select 144/432 Region 2 Chat.  The 222 guys will be there. The plan is to get on and see what you can work.  If the Moon is in position, you can monitor HB9Q Chat and select 222 MHz. Possibilities for an EME contact on your rising or setting Moon are quite possible if you have a few hundred watts and a good long yagi.

I will be up at the shack early, probably cussin' 'n swearin' trying to get the new computer hooked up.  Such endeavors usually don't come off easily. I will be on 222.100 at about 23:45 UT if all goes well.  Conditions promise to be poor.  So what else is new?

73

Dave K1WHS