[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity night wrap up

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity night wrap up
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 09:37:50 -0400
It was great to see all the activity in the midwest. When I quit at 02:30 local time, it was still going strong with folks setting up skeds on the ON4KST Chat page.  By then, everything had ceased on 222 on the East Coast as the tropo was winding up and all the action moved to 144 MHz. I saw K1TEO working KO4MA in Florida on 144, so my prediction of conditions was right on in that all the happy campers would be on the Connecticut shoreline and looking down the coast.  For my part, I called some CQs on both CW and FT8 but only heard crickets in response. The northern contingent was once again shut out.

I had noted that conditions were slightly elevated down to at least the Philadelphia area about 350 miles away. The W3CCX beacon was about 10 dB louder than normal and conditions seemed rather good to me. I started off working K1ZK in northern Vermont and WA1RKS in western Massachusetts (who is behind Mt Greylock for me)   I worked most of the same folks that Good Buddy Ron WZ1V worked.  I saw a note on the ON4KST Chat page from WA3EOQ  saying he was on 222.095. I tuned down to .095 in ssb mode and instantly heard Howard calling me on CW. He was Q5 copy in a 2.8 kHz passband. I replied after switching to CW and we completed very quickly. So there were good conditions down well past Philadelphia and inland as well to western Maryland.  I looked for K3SK on CW and FT8  but heard and saw nothing.  K3SK is about 575 miles away from me in FN43 mumbo jumbo land.

I noted that I could not detect WA3NUF on FT8 and it was a timing issue. I could see that Phil was starting just a tad fast but it was probably less than 1 second. He was very loud on FT8 but no decode. Is there any way I can alter the settings in FT8 to minimize timing issues? In older platforms (before FT8) you could adjust timings. Last week I had the same issue with W2BYP while others were able to contact him. I must be doing something wrong.

I missed contacts with a few: I went looking on EME and missed K1OR  and Doug WA2LTM in NJ.   While on EME, I switched to my fixed array and worked WA1PBU then went back to EME while still using the fixed LVA antenna aimed down the coast line.  No one heard me and I heard no one. Everyone was checking their preamps and coax connections. Then I discovered my mistake. Switching bac o the EME antenna made everything better!!  I heard KM0T in Iowa very well and Mike peaked at -12 dB on Q65. He was using his shiny new Larcan amplifier and his signal was crushing rocks here. Before I could call him, his septic tan alarm went off and he had to QRT. So I was basically beat out by a septic tank alarm!  Mike is having hearing problems from a digital TV station in his area. That seems to affect almost everyone these days. Other stations worked via the EME route include K3SK FM07, W5EME EM32, and W4ZST EM84.  After working W4ZST, I went back to tropo mode but 222 was pretty dead on the East coast. The mid west was still busy, but any activity had switched to 144 MHz to take advantage of the tropo path from southern New England down the coast to Florida.  I quit at 02:30 UT and drove home over my new 2 x 12" culvert on the woods road. It was a smooth ride!

73

Dave K1WHS