[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz amplifier

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz amplifier
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 13:51:53 -0400
I am in the middle of getting the last 500 watt amplifier running on 222 MHz. This one is a special one that includes pre drivers so it can be run directly from a very low power transverter. After finishing up the wiring I put some RF through it and about 0 dBm puts out 100 watts or so. +8 dBm nets you +57 dBm or 500 watts. I did not play with the fan settings but saw very low heat rise with the heat sink. (Which is massive) I have two 24 VDC fans running to cool the heat sink. I gave up trying make it too hot. It runs cool no matter what.

The plan is to add the W1GHZ transverter kit on the additional heat sink space so that you end up with a 500 watt transverter fed with 48-50 VDC and some 28 MHz RF.  I have all the parts for the x verter, and just need to order a better solder work station for surface mount parts. I need all the help I can get making the ckt board assembly due to a very shaky right hand. When the transverter is finished it will be phase locked at 222 MHz and include a GPS antenna for maintaining long term accuracy.

This will make a great station for 222 MHz, and while it is not QRO enough for EME (unless you are WA4NJP with a huge dish!!)  it will be great for meteors and aurora and tropo. 500 watts is  a pretty good level.  So I am looking for people in rare VHF spots who might want such an item. Everyone wishes there were more stations available south of the Wash DC area. So anyone in N or S. Carolina, Georgia, Alabama etc. would be a prime candidate. This goes for other areas of the country  with low 222 activity as well.   A 100 watt Q5 Signal transverter costs $840. This is a 500 WATT TRANSVERTER that includes the GPS reference all ready to go. All you do is supply 50 VDC and 0 dBm of 28MHz energy. I have not built the xverter up yet, but I expect the cost for the whole unit will be in the $750 range.  This does not include RF relays, but I could add that in at an extra charge.

So all of you 222 MHz ops who might know a suitable candidate for this rig, please beat the bushes and round up some willing ham and then let me know.  Depending on the circumstances and rarity, we will somehow pick out a "winner".  All in an effort to build some more 222 MHz activity. Speaking of which, I have been informed that QST will publish an article all about the "222 MHz Amplifier Project" at some time in the coming months. That will bring some attention to the band as well.

73

Dave K1WHS