[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night is this evening

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night is this evening
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:16:53 -0400
Hello VHFers

Activity has been spiking in the midwest but is a bit down in the northeast. A few of the regulars were missing the last few weeks. Now that summer is winding down and cool weather is the norm, there is less opportunity for those typical summertime activities.  Catfish noodling is difficult. Cow tipping gets tougher.  Hot dog eating contests are hard to find, and The monsoon season is winding down in the mountains of Nepal.  So there is no good reason not to get on the air with your 222 MHz gear and make noise on 222.100 on Tuesday evening.

I did a little bit of work on my last 222 MHz amplifier. Yesterday I painted the front and back panels a nice grey and then baked them in a drying oven.  It looked pretty well, so I installed them on the amp and added the LEDs and RF and power connectors.   Really, all that is left is to wire it up.  This is a special amp in that it has RF driver circuitry that allows a full 500 watt output with only 50 milliwatt (+17 dBm) input.

A 50 milliwatt input got me to thinking that I could add a simple W1GHZ transverter in the unit along with a GPS reference LO  and have a state of the art (almost) 222 MHz receive and transmit station that only needs a 10 meter rig and a 50 volt 25 amp power supply.  So I am going to build up a transverter over the winter months.  The transverter will cost me about $300 including a Bodnar GPS LO. The 500 watt amp has about $300 in added components  besides the actual solid state amplifier pallet, (2 X MRF-151G FETs), that includes sequencers, Fan heat protection, high VSWR shutdown protection, and other features.  With the fan control, you can run digital modes at full power to your heart's content while having the heat sink temperature hover around 38 or 39 degrees C.

I am looking for a suitable candidate for this amp. That person needs to live in a less active part of the  country where activity is sparse.   So put your collective heads together and maybe we can all find a new home for the amp. The price is low at $750 to cover my expenses.  It is basically a 500 watt transverter.

So remember tonight  and get on 222. I will hopefully be there starting a bit before 23:00 UT, right after dinner. I will start on 222.100 and move off when people show up.  Use the ON4KST Chat page for skeds if you are far off the beaten path.  It is a good meeting place for coordination.  Pick the 144/432 Region 2 chat. I hope to hear you there.

73

Dave K1WHS