[VHFcontesting] Tuesday Night activity period.

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Tuesday Night activity period.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 15:59:50 -0400

Hello 222 addicts,
I had both 222 yagis ready to go up the tower on Thursday. The weather was gorgeous with little wind, but I could see that it was a two man job at least for me who is 78 and 2/3rds years old. The antennas are heavy with thick aluminum support struts so man handling them around at 106 ft is no picnic.  So I spent Thursday tweaking one of the antennas to align the phase center a bit better and make the boom sit parallel to the horizon. In  the past the top yagi that recently broke had a noticeable up tilt. It had to be fixed by cutting and  re drilling the support braces.  So I got it all lined up on the ground and on Friday, I convinced Al WA1T to help me haul them up. All went well. We were on the tower for four hours. I got both yagis back in place, then they had to be aligned and the vertical mast on one side of the H frame along with two long yagis was lifted up several feet to its final position. When that was accomplished, I had to drag the H frame sideways on the main mast to get it centered again. That frame is very heavy with the four yagis plus the H frame. I used ratchet straps to move the frame.  Then I had to re connect all the coax and tighten seemingly a million half inch hex nuts to lock the frame in position. This  morning I was up on the hill getting firewood in my truck, and went in the shack and turned on the solar power and listened on 222. Wow conditions were bad.  Lots of gusty winds.  I turned the 222 antenna back and forth while listening to a beacon, and happily found only one main lobe. I worry that with everything else going on that I might get the antennas mixed up and put something out of phase!  (all four T matches have to be oriented similarly) So I listened to K2DLL and it was real watery sounding but was much stronger on the 4X yagsi vs the 8 X 5 el LVA. The LVA is aimed  about 33 degrees off of K2DLL, so gain is probably down by 5 dB. 26 degrees off boresight is the 3 dB point on the LVA with a 52 degree half power point. Then I tried listening to W3CCX/b and was really amazed by what I saw. W3CCX was weak at about 10-15 db above the background noise on the big array, and when I switched to the LVA I could not hear it much at all.  There was at least 8 dB difference between the two. Now you get weird conditions and QSB where antennas at different heights get favored etc, but 8 dB is a huge number. We figured the LVA is 18 dBd. My best guess is that the 4X array is around 22-23 dB. My take is that the array is back to working again.

In honor of fixing the array, I plan to offer an award to the station farthest away that can work the 4 yagi array on Tuesday night.  In the past there was a Bass Pro Shop bass boat and trailer being offered for the longest QSO.  This time, in honor of WA1T helping out, the prize will be Al's pick up truck. He doesn't know that yet, so lets keep the award between ourselves for the time being.

So it looks like Tuesday night will be the on the air test for the repairs.  Maybe I can test it out before 7 PM so I can be all set to go then. I can bring up an antenna tester and look it over before the activity begins.  In looking over the damaged antenna, I would say that nothing hit the array other than wind. I found a 432 yagi that had also been twisted on the mast, so I am guessing that the culprit for all the damage was some wind from a dust devil. If you want to know about dust devils check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_devil

If you read the fine print in the article about dust devils you will find that the first recorded instance of a fatality occurred here in the town of Lebanon, ME. My UPS driver at the time in May of 2003 saw it all happen. The dust devil ripped apart a building and launched 4 x 8 ft sheets of roofing metal skyward up and out of sight. For many minutes afterward, those sheets of metal were falling all over town! He was rather traumatized by what happened. The day was warm with absolutely no winds and 100% sunshine.  I suspect the ridge top where the antennas are is solid rock and the rock got very warm triggering the dust devil.   I am relieved that I got it all fixed.

73
Dave K1WHS

Remember Tuesday is 222 Night.  SSB/CW/FT8/ Q65/ Facsimile/  Show up on 222.100 or so and see what happens!!