[VHFcontesting] Real tropo in FN55 !?!?

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Real tropo in FN55 !?!?
From: Paul N1BUG FN55mf <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 05:57:07 -0400
That was really something!

Since 1986 I have caught four or five tropo openings that extended beyond 500 miles, all straight down the coast to extreme eastern Virginia and possibly extreme eastern North Carolina. I would have to go back and check paper logs from decades ago to see about the latter. I am sure I never worked anything much beyond 800 miles on tropo. Never anything to the midwest.

I have written up a summary in a blog post so I won't repeat all here. Those who are interested can look it up.

http://blog.n1bug.com/2023/09/03/big-tropo-opening/

Thee were several really nice contacts but I would have to say the high points were working W9FF on 144 CW and N0PB on 432 FT8.

Roger, W9FF, very kindly switched to CW when I asked... after we had already worked on FT8. I greatly appreciate that. I wanted at least one midwest tropo QSO on CW so I can say I have done it. That means a lot to me.

I could not believe how easily I worked Phil, N0PB on 432 FT8 with my puny 25 watts! That is 1239 miles or so, depending on which distance calculator you use. I had his signal clear as a bell in the speaker the whole time but my low power was not that good on his end, judging by the report I got.

I have no malice toward digital modes or those who enjoy them. Obviously I use them too. But, this is more than a hobby to me, always has been. Digital modes have reduced the thrill and health benefits I can get from the hobby. I have been constantly trying to adjust the ham radio benefit formula for the past 20 years since JT65 changed EME forever. I find that I have been moving more to the building and exploring side of things.

I wish there was more CW and SSB activity during big openings but the situation is what it is. I will keep trying to adapt and find the best path for me. I did get some QSOs on FT8 that would not have been possible on CW. I also got two on Q65 that were not possible on FT8.

As always, I wish I had more power on 432. Someday.

I heard a couple of fairly impressive meteor pings on 432. I am interested in trying meteor scatter on that band when I get enough power. There doesn't seem to have been much of that in North America but I recall some interesting discussions with European EME friends about 432 meteor scatter many years ago.

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf