Re: [VHFcontesting] tropo in FN66 as well

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] tropo in FN66 as well
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 12:16:24 -0300
Just wanted to give a shout out to my buddy/neighbour Paul, N1BUG (who I've
been working on VHF since the late 1980's) because without seeing his
messages this morning, I would've never even turned the rig on.

I was not quite as successful as Paul and others as I currently only have 2m
CW (I don't do digi_) running 100w with a 17el here on a nice ridgetop in
FN66. (whereas it looked to me that UHF/SHF was the place to be)

I read Paul's messages in the livingroom and then when I turned the rig on
(even before a computer was on in the shack), I heard my ol' friend Dave
VE3KG (ex-VE9CB & other calls) CQing from FN24.  I was not even aimed that
way.  Beams were parked on the USA-W1 coastline, so likely 45* off.
Regardless, had a nice QSO with Dave and then with some cheerleading from
Dana, VE3DS on the ON4KST page,. was able to work VE3ZV, VE3DS and even
VE3EU @1100+kms from here.

What a nice birthday present for me!

Thanks to all of you for your various contributions.  I especially enjoy the
222 messages from K1WHS and others.

Keep up the great work.

May be back tonight after dark if Mother Tropo smiles on us.

Mike VE9AA FN66na..CW on 2m

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB