Re: [VHFcontesting] Tropo in FN55 ??

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Tropo in FN55 ??
From: Paul N1BUG FN55mf <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 03:55:10 -0400
That should have read 0730Z... :)
Seems to be fading now but I will keep watch.

On 9/2/23 03:32, Paul N1BUG FN55mf wrote:
0930Z... The closest thing I have *ever* seen to be under a big red blob is happening now. Just to the west of me the map had turned purple! I think because signals are so strong the system things it might be Es? Anyway it looks really close to me. I will be on ON4KST chat and have 144, 222 and 432 at full ready from now until whenever...

Since I got on VHF in 1986 I have never made a tropo/troposcatter QSO more than ~470 miles to the west/WSW. All have been straight down the coast. Here's hoping this is the day that changes!

By the way, N1JEZ/b on 10 GHz woke me up blasting in here. Thanks for the alarm clock, Mike. ;-)
(I am not QRV 10 GHz; RX only)

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf
144: 1300W, 13 el at 120'