[VHFcontesting] More on the 222 MHz Amplifier Project

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] More on the 222 MHz Amplifier Project
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 12:20:45 -0400
Hi VHFers

When I was at Central States VHF Conference, I had an very nice chat with W0VB and was politely twisting his arm to get one of the 222 MHz 1500 watt amplifiers. These are "turn key" amps that need only 50 volts to get on the air.  Terry has a remote station in Wyoming and Wyoming is GROUND ZERO as far as rare states go on 222 MHz.  W0VB has 222 WAS #1, but has been off 222 MHz since it was named 220 MHz!  All he needs is a good long yagi on the horizon and a preamp mounted at the antenna.  Terry seemed quite interested.  I want to ship the last amp to Wyoming!    If you don't believe me about a single yagi and EME, ask WA1NLG in FN41. He aimed his antenna at the rising moon with his KW and single 16 element DS yagi. I immediately decoded him both direct (loud) and via the Moon and I could measure his exact doppler as both signals were offset in frequency by the doppler amount. You can also ask WQ0P who has been worked on Moonrise a few times with two yagis and 295 watts at the antenna.

I tried sending e mails to W0VB@arrl.net but have not heard an answer back yet. Maybe I have a bad email address?  This is the last BIG amplifier that is available from the 222 MHz Amplifier Project, and I want it to go to a rare state. So I need to get in contact with W0VB. If you a friends with Terry, you are authorizzed to bug the be-jezzus out of him to get back on EME. All he needs is one yagi and this 1500 watt flamethrower amp. Terry, you can run but you can't hide!

And now follows an ad for the amplifier:

Tell me folks, does your amplifier have the following characteristics?

Is your 222 MHz amplifier ready to rock and roll with all coax jumpers and relays?
Does it require only 50 VDC to produce 1500 watts output on 222 MHz?
Does your amp have an effective VSWR Shutdown function to protect against VSWR faults? Does your amplifier have an effective temperature control circuit to protect your expensive FET devices against thermal problems?
Has your amplifier been wired up only with MIL Spec teflon stranded wire?
Has your amplifier been built with stainless steel hardware?
Is your amplifier of all metal construction except for the delrin plastic feet?
Has your amplifier been built entirely in North America?
Does your amplifier meet the FCC requirements for harmonic radiation?
Was your finished amplifier assembled by a veteran  (I won't say which side), who has yet to be convicted of a capital crime?

If you cannot answer yes to all of these questions, you do not have an amplifier made by Honest Dave!

All kidding aside, the amplifiers are an easy way to get on 222 with a big signal for meteor scatter and EME. I am really trying to create some excitement in a few rare states. Most of them have or will go to rare states.  I really need this last amp to get to Wyoming. Please help!

73

Dave K1WHS