Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] OH MY GOSH! It is 222 Night again!

To: "'David Olean'" <k1whs@metrocast.net>, <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] OH MY GOSH! It is 222 Night again!
From: <w5zn@w5zn.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 12:12:45 -0500
I will be on 222 MHz EME tonight !!

73 Joel W5ZN
EM45
Arkansas

-----Original Message-----
From: 222Activity@groups.io <222Activity@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Olean
Sent: Tuesday, August 1, 2023 12:10 PM
To: NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net; vhfcontesting@contesting.com; 222 >>
222Activity@groups.io <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: [222Activity] OH MY GOSH! It is 222 Night again!

So I started driving to Little Rock late at night after the last Tuesday
evening exercise. I am barely back and it is 222 Night again. Please don't
forget to make an appearance tonight, if you possibly can.  I will definitely
be there starting a bit before 2300 UT.  I will run off batteries for awhile.

There is a bit of an unusual situation this evening. EME conditions are very
good (potentially) and the Moon rises in the East at about 0100 UT.  The sky
temps are low and if you have a clear horizon to the southeast, you might want
to try to listen (or have your computer
listen) for any returns from the Moon. If anyone is interested, I will call CQ
on Q65-B 60 in hopes that someone might decode something. I will fire up the
big amp for that.  The normal hot time for East Coast terrestrial QSOs  is
between 7 and 9 PM local time. So it is quite convenient that right after that,
the Moon will come up on the East Coast and will be big in the sky as it is
close to a full Moon.

I will be on 222.085 2nd calling sequence on Q65B60 after about 0100 UT.
I will be monitoring ON4KST as well as the HB9Q Chat page. If you cannot
monitor there, I will try to stick with 222.085 starting at 0100 UT.   I see
the Moon rises in Indiana at about 0140 UT.  Maybe there will be other EMEers
who appear as the night wears on. It helps to have a few big signals on the air
in case Faraday rotation is non cooperative. Who knows? You might detect
something.

I distributed five 1500 watt Larcan amplifiers at Little Rock. I am enthused by
that. N7GP has one. So does NX9O and WG8S. KM0T in Iowa picked up one and we
dropped one off in Nashville on our way with AJ6T.
Everybody knows Walt AJ6T who is very active on Tuesdays from near Nashville
with all of 25 watts. His signal is about to get stronger!!! I am looking
forward to a QSO on meteors. W8ZN figures he can work Walt from Terry's new QTH
in FM09.

Speaking of FM09, I stopped at Terry's place and was amazed at the location. I
am not kidding, he is on the top of a ridge at about 2280 ft with a huge drop
off on either side. Honestly, when we drove out and started downhill, I got the
sensation that I was in an airplane.  Hoo Boy! when he gets all set up that
will be a tremendous positive force on VHF.  I tried to look at it on Hey
What's That, but that website seems to be inoperative. I hope it is not
defunct. That was a great place to compare VHF ham sites.

So quit watching You tube videos or checking the soil moisture in your back
yard on your Smart phone and get on 222.100 starting after dinner for a night
of real excitement!

73

Dave K1WHS

ps. More info to follow on more 1500 watt amplifiers ASAP.