Re: [VHFcontesting] AM-6154 help

To: Donald Fox <taurusshoguy@yahoo.com>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] AM-6154 help
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 11:12:06 -0400
Screen voltage drops from the 2000 VDC supply through two 100 watt resistors. I think they are 47K each. Then they feed three zener dodes in series to get the approx 390 VDC for the regulated screen voltage.  One of tjose big resistors will open up and you lose scren voltage. I have had many failures like that. You can get away with using just one 47K, but I would advise against it as it serves as a current limiting device.  I think I have some carcass parts here if you need anything. I have a few modules like the fan and bias etc.

You could also have shorted zeners. I fixed an amp for WA1T and he blew out all the zeners so we needed to replace them.  The power resistors are the typical failure mode.

Dave K1WHS