[VHFcontesting] 222 Night Summary

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Night Summary
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 11:28:52 -0400

Hello VHF types!

I was happy with the good activity on Tuesday night.  Condx seemed just so-so, but there were no T storms or heavy rain with rain static, so that was a plus.  I worked 23 stations and did spend some time trying with K3SK with no luck. Dave is too far for tropo scatter for me and too close for meteors.  I won't even mention the fact that Good Buddy Ron, WZ1V has cast a spell on us so that we cannot hear each other. Our best means of communicating now is via EME where we have worked about four times. Distance is about 570miles.   I did try some meteor scatter with K9MRI and we had great success and made the contact in just a few minutes with MSK144 digi mode.  That distance is about 750 miles. After our sked, N1BUG tried with K9MRI as well, and Paul had good success too at over about 880 miles for possibly the best contact of the evening distance-wise. I tried a few minutes with WQ0P but he had to QRT after about 5 minutes. That path is 1330 miles. I heard nothing in the first few minutes.

I did try with WA3EOQ in FM09, and had to wait a few sequences for signals to peak up out of the noise. After about three calls, I heard him coming back at about Q3 to Q4. The first few times it was all I could do to tune Howard in and get him centered in my passband. In other words, it was another "squeaker" of a contact, but those tend to be  a lot of fun. I missed a few stations like WA1NLG, W1FKF, and WA2LTM. I think  I was busy with meteor scatter when Doug 'LTM was on.

The most interesting development was an attempt to work VE3FN who is in the Ottawa area. Normally Ray is pretty good copy so I was surprised when he was buried in noise. I was not looking at the S-meter at first, so it took me awhile to notice that the noise level was way up. One look at the panadaptor and the noise was riding at about -115 dBm instead of the typical -142 dBm. It sounded very smooth and unlike typical power line noise. I started hyper ventilating thinking that another digital TV station had come on the air and was overloading my receiver. I could see energy in four or five sidelobes. It was a huge signal. Then I realized that the Sun was setting and I was aimed directly at the Sun when aimed at Ottawa! NO wonder Ray was weak!!!  When the Sun set, the noise dropped but it was still 10 db loud after it had dropped out of sight at -1.0 degrees!!

It seems there is a new sunspot that is cranking out M class flares and I was hearing one of them at 23:45 UT on 7/11/23. Keep tuned in case an X class flare develops. It could cause more aurora action on 222 MHz.

Next week I am probably going to miss Tuesday night. I will be in Kentucky helping to remove a 1.2 MW Caterpillar genset from an industrial building. I am not sure how I get roped into these capers, but it will help finance my remote operating system for my hilltop shack. I have my eyes set on a high powered 12 VDC powered computer.

I should also add that the Pacific Northwest lost a very active VHFer this past week as KE7SW, Tom Crelling in CM87 has passed away. He was very active on 144, 222, and 432. VE7HR, the President of the PNWVHFS, noted that  Tom was a formidable force in the Society and he will be missed. I am sure many of us have Tom in our logs.

73

Dave K1WHS