[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night 4TH of July Edition.

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night 4TH of July Edition.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 22:25:21 -0400
We had rain most of the day. It rained hard last night, and then started up again mid morning and poured for a few hours. Late afternoon it stopped raining and the Sun actually appeared.  I was hopeful that condx might be OK for 222 MHz by evening, but a goodly line of Thunderstorms formed across parts of Vermont and were moving East as the evening progressed. It was interesting to see where that line was, as the southern end of the line was crossing near Albany, New York, while stretching up along the NH border to the North.  That line of storms stirred up the atmosphere and was affecting signals to my west and southwest. At about 23:00 UT I had an FB QSO with W1XR at over 400 miles. He was peaking S8 on SSB. Heading was about 237 degrees.  Around 00:00 UT I tried a contact with WA3EOQ at 242 degrees. Normally, we can work on CW with difficulty every week. If you look at a map, you can see that WA3EOQ is in FM09 and way out in western Maryland just above West Virginia and almost as far West as Pittsburgh. During our sked, I went for about six sequences and heard nothing. Howard was having the same luck. This was not normal. After about six sequences, I copied his calls Q4 or Q5  for about 10 seconds and then it was gone.  Same thing next sequence. That was weird! Howard was not copying me much at all. We decided to stop and try later.  Around 00:)) tht line of storms was situated so that I had to traverse the entire line while aimed at 242 derees. At  about 00:50 UT we tried again, and I heard him start calling just fine and sent a report etc. We did not miss a sequence and finished the contact in rapid fashion even with lightning static that was really bad. What a difference!   I looked at the NWS Radar right after the QSO, and the line of storms had moved farther East and I think the amount of storminess between here and Western MD was actually much less.  Rather than going along the T storm line, I was now going thru it. The bad news was that the storms were about 25 miles away from me, and I figured that I better clear out and go home before I was in another deluge.  I packed up and left and the storms seem to be dissipating. Maybe I should have stayed?

I worked N1BUG up in FN55 for my 1st contact. Paul peaked at 59 +20 and sounded super.  N2SLN was out portable in FN22 with his rover rig and was looking for contacts.  He also worked N1BUG for a very nice contact.  To the SW,  I tried with K1DS and had no success. Nothing heard either way.  WA3NUF and KC3BVL were also worked. I tried a bit with NE9EE in EN70 and K3SK in FM07 with no luck. Being on the 4th of July, many of the regulars were missing. STill it was a blast and there were plenty of signals to try. WA1RKS, W1AUV, K1TEO, K1MAP, K1PXE and K1FSY were all on and Good Buddy Ron showed up after getting filled up with mustard covered hot dogs. With all that, his signal was still just fine.  Lots of activity out to the West in the EN grids. I wanted to try some meteors with K9MRI, but the storms drove me away. Better luck next time.  It seems that folks out west had much better condx. How about a report?

73

Dave K1WHS