[VHFcontesting] Working K5QE in the ARRL June VHF contest....

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, VHF Reflector <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Working K5QE in the ARRL June VHF contest....
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 13:21:30 +0000
Hello to all our friends in the VHF / WSJT world from the K5QE contest team....K5QE will be operating in the ARRL June VHF Contest and would really appreciate any contacts that we can make via MSK144 meteor scatter, JT65, Q65, FT8, or EME for that "rare" grid.  The contest begins 1800 UTC Saturday, June 10th and ends 0300 UTC Monday, June 12th.  For those of us still on local time, that is 1PM CDST on Saturday to 10PM CDST Sunday night.

We will be operating stations on 6M, 2M, 432, and our newest band 1296(EME only for now).

Assistance is now allowed to everyone in the ARRL VHF contests. The new rules for Assistance are extremely liberal....basically you can do just about anything, EXCEPT for posting any contact information.  This means that we cannot post "Thank you" after a contact, because it confirms that the contact is complete. Please understand if we don't send you a thank you post.  The rules just don't allow that, even though we do it routinely when not contesting.

6M:  During the day, when Es or weak tropo is probable, we will listen for SSB whenever we can.  If SSB is not working, we will probably be running FT8 on 50.313.  However, we will check for SSB Es at the top and bottom of every hour.  If we find some Es, we will stay with SSB until the Es dies out.  Remember to use SSB if signals on FT8 are strong.  SSB is a LOT faster than FT8, so you will be able to make a lot more contacts in the same time if SSB is working.  Missing a good SSB opening because of FT8 means thousands of points lost.

After about 0100Z, IF the band is NOT open for Es or FT8, then we will be running meteor scatter(MS) using MSK144.  Please be sure to use the "NA Contest Mode" with SH = OFF.  When we are running meteor scatter, we will be on 50.260MHz and we will be using the PingJockey chat page.  Remember, westernmost station goes first unless a different arrangement is made on PingJockey.  NOTE:  The meteor scatter calling frequency for 6M is back to 50.260MHz.

2M:  When the contest begins and also from 7AM to 9AM(local) on Sunday morning, we will be on SSB on 144.200MHz to pick up our locals and rovers.  Saturday afternoon and evening we will be running FT8(144.174MHz) or MS on MSK144(144.150MHz).  We will also be using the PingJockey chat page.  We run 2 x 17el and QRO power.  Again, westernmost goes first.  Please be sure to use the "NA Contest Mode" with SH = ON.  Our moonrise is 0715Z(2:1AM CDST) on Sunday morning.  We will monitor 2M EME on 144.142MHz from 0715Z until 1900Z on Sunday, which is our moonset.

On Sunday afternoon, we can run some MSK, Q65, or FT8 during the "Sunday Afternoon Doldrums"....please arrange scheds for any band on PingJockey or just call the shack at 409-787-3831.  We hope 6M will be wild with Es, but if not then some MS or FT8 might work.  2M meteors on Sunday afternoon will pick up a few grids.

For 6M, and 2M, we will cease digital meteor scatter operations at 7AM CDST(=1200Z) on Sunday morning and revert to normal tropo type operations.

We will have the 432 tropo station available for "local" contacts.  Just contact us on one of the other bands and "move us up", use a chat page, or just call us on the phone.  For now, 1296 will be EME only, as we have no tropo antenna.

Remember again, that we will always be watching PingJockey late at night.  If you need us, you can reach us there.  We can set up "strange" schedules or whatever using the chat room. PingJockey is a great resource, so don't be afraid to use it. REMEMBER, NO contact details can be posted.  OR, just call us on the phone at 409-787-3831.

Thank you in advance for spending some time to work us in the contest.  GL to everyone during the contest.

73 Marshall K5QE, EM31cj

Phone at the contest station is 409-787-3831...and yes, you can call us during the contest for scheduling, etc.

Just no contact details.