Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 activity night

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 23:06:34 -0400
That is quite a list Ron.  I took some time and paid attention to the ON4KST chat page. There was lots of activity beyond the northeast and mid Atlantic states, Here are some calls who were in there making contacts.  NX9O, KB9IFH, AA9MY, AJ6T, W5EME, K9KLD, KY4G, N1GC, K9MRI, N0AE, and K2DRH. From my spot in Maine I had 24 QSOs including  K1TR FN42, KO4YC  FM17 on SSB, WB2SIH FN31, WA2LTM FN20, VE3KG FN24, K1ZK FN34, W1AIM FN34, WB2RVX FM29, WA3EOQ FM09, WA2VNV FN30, WZ1V FN31, N2JMH FN12, W9KXI FN12, VE2XX FN25, VE2GDR FN25, N2SLO FN30, K1PXE FN31, W1XR FM19, KA3FQS FN20, WB2VVV FN41, N1SV FN42, KV1J FN42, WA1NLG FN41, and KA1SUN in FN32.

I spent plenty of time trying with K3SK with no completed contact on Q65 or MSK144. That distance is a tough nut to crack. I suspect that it was a bad night. All the folks in northern New England were complaining about poor signals and terrible multi path. I had trouble aiming the antenna. I swear that signals were wandering with their beam headings. N2JMH peaked 12 degrees off his true heading for a short time, then went back to normal.

My weekly try with WA3EOQ was a struggle. I heard him very little and had to repeat things a few times. He said I was fading into the noise also, which is a little unusual. Howard was definitely weaker here and the QSO was a squeaker.  Then awhile later I called CQ and KO4YC called in on SSB and was Q5, Go figure! Both stations are over 500 miles.

I spent the day working on my solar gear and routed the panel wires into the building and located the new controller on the wall, I moved the inverter so it was very close to the batteries. I even fired up the 50 MHz gear on solar power and ran 500 watts output. When 222 night rolled around, I discovered that I did not have AC power and traced the problem to the inverter DC bypass circuit. I had to run the gear on battery power and power the inverter to get power into the 222 gear.  It ran fine on batteries. Only the 8877 and the HV supply ran off the generator. About 9:30, I took some time and traced where I was losing my AC power. I found it quickly. I never connected the ground and one side of the AC line to the inverter, so it was getting no AC at all. I connected it all up and flipped the breaker on and saw a big flash and the breaker tripped.  SHeesh! I don't need this. I double checked everything but found nothing wrong. A second try was successful.  I waited around until 0200 UT for K1DY but no luck and I headed back home. I used about 20% of the battery.  The Teletek driver amp runs about 100 watts output. I had two computers running,  desktop and a lap top.  An RS35 power supply ran the Teletek, The transverter and k3 and rotator also ran off the battery. The inverter was showing over 300 watts when I was transmitting. Battery current was up around 75amps or more. Battery voltage was 13.28 when I quit.   It seems to be working OK.

CU in the June Contest.

Dave K1WHS