[VHFcontesting] Tuesday Reminder for 222 MHz Activity Night.

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Tuesday Reminder for 222 MHz Activity Night.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 19:01:10 -0400
Hello VHF addicts

I am quite pumped up as much has been accomplished at the old Mumbo Jumbo VHF radio location. (FN43MJ)  I am embarking on setting up a remote operating setup and the first order of business is to have 24 hour a day AC power available. I spent the day moving components and re wiring new stuff in hopes of having some permanent power available with solar panels and a bigger battery array.  So now I have my new ground mounted solar panels installed and powering a state of the art charge controller. I also added another 300 AH of battery capacity for a 600 AH total. I was working hard today to put the shack back together as it is almost Tuesday and Tuesday means another FANTASTIC activity night with wall to wall activity. It is a great time to check out your 222 gear before the impending June VHF Contest.

Activity seems to be growing in the midwest and I am hoping that we get some more SE activity. W4ZST was on last week and only worked two stations. To make matters worse, those two contacts were on EME. He worked no one terrestrially from EM84.  If you are in the SE, please make an attempt to get on Tuesday evening.   I seem to have a great bit of luck with meteor scatter down the East Coast. I would love to run a meteor sked.  KO4MA, N4SVC, and WA4GPM come  to mind.  The meteors are calling folks!!

I will be QRV just before 23:00 UT or 7 PM on the East Coast. The ON4KST  chat page is a good place to set up skeds.  The Moon will be in great shape, but it does not rise until late in the evening. My Moonrise is at 03:45 UT.

So please make an effort to get on even if for only a short time. The more stations the merrier.  Conditions will be fairly good in parts of the SE and flat everywhere else. Still, a flat 222 band can be quite exciting.  I am itching to try some Q65 skeds to see if I can extend my coverage over what is possible with CW.  So far I have been unsuccessful with extending my tropo range.

I spent today re locating my 1800 watt AC inverter, and re programming my charge controllers so their characteristics are the same. I am finally running both controllers into the battery bank. I noted that on a rainy and cloudy day, I could actually get 30 amps of charge current into the battery, so that is quite encouraging.

I hope to see you on 222 MHz Tomorrow.

73

Dave K1WHS