[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Night

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 12:43:46 -0400
Well things have been roaring lately on some of our VHF bands. This past Sunday afternoon and evening there was a rip-roaring aurora that allowed contacts up to 432 MHz CW.  The buzz session caused quite a stir and lots of people were closely monitoring the bands. I sure had fun looking for contacts on 222 MHz. It was very difficult with such a sharp directive antenna.  Just a few degrees would make the difference between success and failure.

So here it is, another Tuesday night and time for checking out your 222 gear and making changes so the next opening is better handled. For my part, I need to make up a 2 way divider and cables to mount my 2 X 16 el 222 yagis as an Aurora antenna. My existing antenna is not very good for the au buzz contacts!

People start showing up around 7 PM on the East Coast (23:00 UT) and midwest activity peaks about an hour later. If you are looking for a possible 222 contact, be sure to keep looking up to about 0100 UT on the East Coast for any possible connections. The ON4KST Chat page is a good place to line up a sked if you do not hear any locals in the immediate area. Use the 144/432 MHz  Region 2 Chat.

I plan to be on a bit before 2300 UT and usually start on 222.100 and then  move off as activity appears. A quick look at the Hepburn map shows nothing going on for the evening anywhere in the US of A.  That does not mean much as the 222 band will still support contacts over 200 miles with simple gear on a dead band evening. Don't forget that the next day is the fantastic 432 MHz Sprint, so after checking out the 222 gear, you might want to look over the 432 gear as well. I dragged up my 432  wattmeter and will be checking out 432 this evening in hopes of being ready on 432!

We have had some significant activity on 222 of late.  Lets make tonight a great night for activity.

73

Dave K1WHS