[VHFcontesting] K1DY 222 report

To: "222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, VHF Contest Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] K1DY 222 report
From: Bill Olson <callbill@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 19:10:04 +0000
Hi all, well with K1WHS sunning himself in Live Oak, FL, I had in mind I
wouldn't have anyone to talk to during last night's 222 activity period with my
10 element, Armstrong rotated, 222MHz Yagi at 14 ft, covered with wet sticky
snow and pointing into 70 ft tall trees also covered with the same snow. I got
on around 8:15 checked in on ON4KST chat and WZ1V in FN31 immediately wanted to
try on 222.105. What the heck! I said sure, better make it CW and we worked in
a couple minutes, QSB but S2 on peaks. We were both pretty astounded. Later on
I announced I would be calling CQ SW on 222.110 and who calls me back but Chip,
W1AIM, in FN34. He was loud, 559 on CW both ways and my antenna was still
pointing to Ron at 217 degrees, Chip is at 264 degrees and looking right
through my house which was also covered with a layer of blown snow!!! Didn't
need to turn the antler and we could've worked on phone for sure!

So that was it:

WZ1V FN31 288 miles
W1AIM FN34 154 miles

Rig FT991A, DEMI xverter, HBRU BLF278 300 watts
Antenna 10 el 8ft boom K1FO at 14 ft!!!!!

Oh yeah, one not insignificant thing: If your antenna is at 14 feet you CAN
knock some snow off of it with a long stick!

bill, K1DY in Snowy Maine FN54JQ