[VHFcontesting] Tuesday night on 222.

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Tuesday night on 222.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 14:17:51 -0500
Hi VHFers,

Don't forget to get on the 222 MHz band this evening.  With all the distractions these days, it is easy to get overwhelmed by external factors. I have heard horror stories of some hams missing 222 night due to all sorts of distractions and diversions. Football games,  Gerbil races,  misplaced TV remotes,  and avalanches, have all been cited as reasons for missing 222 Night. I know it can happen, but all involved have recounted that 222 Night has been much more fun than those other activities.

So please remember to power up that 222 rig tonight and try to make a contact or two. If you are like Good Buddy Ron, WZ1V, you can try to work everybody who might have a 222 rig.  Last week WB4OMG wrote in that he was lurking around in EL89 on 222 and made one contact for the evening.  Hanging around for an evening and snagging one FT-8 contact is not very exciting.  To be fair, Buddy did not have much of a setup: 10 watts and an omni loop. The 222 band is well suited to much better DX if a decent yagi and 100 watts are available.  But hopefully, WB4OMG can stir up some more activity in the area. Aim your beams toward the Gainesville, FL area and make some noise.  Hopefully WB4OMG can locate a small yagi and get in on real fun. All it takes is some commitment to be there for one evening for about an hour at a minimum.  In areas of high activity people seem to stick around for 2 to 3 hours and maybe more if the band is good.  I would think that Florida is prime territory for VHF. One look at the Hepburn map will show that. The location of the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic with the Gulf Stream can provide many opportunities for extended contacts. Today, the entire state of Florida is surrounded by fantastic tropo across the water and along the coast. Here in the frozen North, there is Zip Zilch Nada.  In fact we are having a pretty good winter snow storm with snow falling all night and day.

I most likely cannot make it up to the ham shack this evening. It would require a long hike on snow shoes in the dark in 20 degree snowfall.  That does not sound like very much fun, but I am playing it by ear.  Seven inches of snow has fallen already.  VHF Action tends to start around 00:00 UT and CW, SSB, and FT8 are the typical modes. W5EME in LA gets on and tries meteor scatter as he is within rage of many of the midwest dxers. The secret is to monitor the ON4KST (144/432 Region 2) Chat page and you can get the info on who is trying what and you can listen in.  I find nothing more exciting than hearing a meteor burst on VHF.  This is a pretty slow time for meteors, but you never know what can or will happen.  So make a point to get on if at all possible. Yes it is winter. Some of us have ice encrusted antennas, and it is easy to not bother and go back to watch the gerbil races.  Resist the temptation and make some noise on 222.100 instead.

I am off on a trip soon, down South for a few weeks, so will not be QRV again until Tuesday March 21.  I know that a group of dedicated VHFers are keeping the band warm in my absence. You know who you are and thank you very much for your dedication.   Oh yes...Look for Aurora this evening.

73

Dave K1WHS