Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Jan VHF WZ1V

To: <wz1v@sbcglobal.net>, <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Jan VHF WZ1V
From: <k3sk@buckwalter.co>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 14:27:35 -0500
Ron,

Not to bash you since you said you were not an FT8 basher but until you
actually work digital modes you will most likely continue to believe that
the computers work the contacts.    At one time I though the same thing.
This notion by non digital operators couldn't be farther from the truth.   I
can tell you that during the contest I left my shack several times, even for
some extended times , and I left everything turned on and not even one
contact was worked by my computer during my absence.   There are lots of
operator interactions with both the program(s) and radios needed to decode
and log a digital contact.  Especially with weak signals.  Even with lots of
activity you need to select the contact that could be the best for your
score with possibly new multipliers.   Worked stations need to actively be
rejected to avoid dupes.   The MSK, JT65 and many other modes require an
operator to read the decoded message and select the proper response.  All
the computer does is decode the digital signal and many of those are deep
into the noise where your radio's discriminator cannot "decode" it..  I
won't even talk about how much operator intervention is need for digital EME
contacts.

I also remember reading in old QSTs similar anti-SSB from the old AM
operators.

Dave Buckwalter
K3SK
FM07