[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:54:51 -0500
This is a friendly reminder that another Tuesday is upon us, and Tuesday means 222 Activity Night.  So grease up those antennas with your best formulation of RF grease and  and recharge the liquid nitrogen cooled preamps and get on 222.100 starting at about 00:00 UT and look for other 222 denizens with similar thoughts.

I will hopefully be on a bit before 00:00 UT but I have noted that things are getting tough with winter approaching. A few days ago, I put my tea mug on the back step of the house. When I came back and brought it inside, the tea had frozen solid. It was there for about an hour.  I have been trying to re work my VHF ham shack and the cold temperatures really slow me down. Having no real AC power is also bad as the shack is very dark now . The building started its' life as a CATV head end building and windows were not a high priority.  I substitute LED work lights instead. So I am stomping around in the dark and temps in the shack hover around 30 degrees or so. It isn't much fun, but I am slowly moving my 144 station into the room with all the other higher bands.  My 144 MHz 8877 amplifier uses cooling air from remote blowers that are mounted outside the building in small wx proof boxes.  Moving the amplifier is not a simple ask as the remote blower must be moved as well.  All of the gear gets hauled down to the house and cleaned up. Much mouse debris is in evidence as the 144 station is not a mouse proof building. I had to wash all the connecting cables and do considerable work on the 8877 to clean it up.  All that stuff is now in the other building and is clean and almost ready to go. All I need is a 144 MHz antenna!!  With the cold temps, I find that I last about an hour or so stumbling around in the dark and then have to go home and warm up a bit. It is slow going.

The weather promises to be rather OK tonight. Temps are forecast to be about 26 degrees and cloudy.  I still have to contend with a very cold shack when I start up. I have an electric baseboard heater, but it takes about an hour to get comfortable.  I also have a small space heater to warm up my toes!  I need to investigate a way to preheat the shack with propane. The problem is to limit condensation. A kerosene stove was terrible in that regard. I am thinking of an un vented propane heater that mounts on a wall.  All of this stops when the snow starts piling up. I will have to quit around mid December, only 2 or 3 weeks  away!

So the drill is to get on 222 and see who you can work.  There is activity spread out all over the place lately.  Fellows such as N1GC, W5EME, AJ6T, K9MRI, K8TQK, and AA9MY are usually there and present an opportunity to see how well or poorly your station is doing with some long haul sked attempts. W5EME usually tries some meteor scatter and it is fun to see if you can hear a return of his signal from a falling piece of space dust as it enters the atmosphere.   WA3EOQ is usually on and has a unique position from a geographical standpoint. He is quite far west and can work stations in the midwest as well as along the east coast. Hopefully the ice has melted off Howard's antenna.  Most people use the ON4KST chat page for setting up contacts.  See : http://www.on4kst.info/chat/login.php?band=8. You want the 144/432 Region 2 Chat page.

CU on 222

Dave K1WHS