Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 432 activity night

To: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 432 activity night
From: Paul N1BUG FN55mf <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 08:58:15 -0400
Hi Dave,

I am really sorry to read about your generator issue, apparently lighting induced! You've certainly had more than your share of technical challenges lately. It sounds like this generator thing is going from bad to worse! Good luck getting that sorted out. We need you back for Tuesday nights and hopefully Wednesday too!

Most of my technical difficulties in recent times have been self induced. Earlier this week I figured out a problem with my modified LNBs for 10 GHz EME reception experiments, and then got automatic doppler tracking working with my simple SDR and preferred software. Last night I checked this out and it was working great. I had perfect Q65 decodes of the DL0SHF beacon every time, and didn't have to retune at all. I did have to run outside every five minutes to move the dish but that's another story.

Earlier in the week when I set up a connected pair of virtual COM ports for the doppler tracking, I didn't have the control box for the new rotator on one of the towers powered up, causing Windows to not realize something would be wanting to use COM5. Not realizing this, I used COM5 and COM6 for the virtual pair. Naturally I discovered my error when I turned on that control box and started getting error messages. A smart person would have just left this alone until after the upcoming EME contest weekend which I have been working hard to prepare for, but not me. I had to try to fix it at 0100 local time last night. That initiated a three hour battle to get it working again, only to eventually discover that the problem was as simple as forgetting to check "activate" after configuring the new CAT port in the SDR software!

I am happy to report everything is working again and I am all set for the wee hours Friday night, having somewhat shifted my bizarre sleep schedule to better accommodate this activity.

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55mf