[VHFcontesting] VHF contest

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VHF contest
From: Paul N1BUG FN55mf <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 07:18:52 -0400
Lo and behold!!! If conditions are good enough, it is still possible to have a VHF contest that is fun in FN55!!! This was very unexpected and truly spectacular. Saturday afternoon in particular, tropo was quite good. On Sunday it was mostly down to normal/poor levels.

144 MHz 73 QSOs, 27 grids
222 MHz 23 QSOs, 13 grids
432 MHz 22 QSOs, 12 grids

I haven't had a VHF contest that good in over 20 years.

Best distance on 144 depends on the six character grid for W4IY. If it is the same location they were using in June (per K1RZ/W3SZ database) then it is 705 miles calculated using six digit grids. That was on tropo. Does anyone know about the location?

Best distance on 432 was 474 miles on CW with my 25 watts.

There were no well equipped 222 stations at interesting distances during the time of the best conditions.

On 144 I worked about three quarters of the stations I heard. The remaining quarter (heard but not worked) was about equally split between never had a good chance to call (they pointed this way to work one of the stations a couple hundred miles southwest of me but were never heard calling in this direction) and stations I had opportunity to call who just could not hear my 1300 watts.

On 222 I worked almost everyone I heard. There were a couple who were pointed close enough to my direction while working someone else but were never heard calling this way.

On 432 I worked about a third of the stations I heard with my 25 watts.

Local area and north/east report: Only one FN54 station heard, K1DY, only worked on 144. I never heard anyone in my own grid! Sheesh! I guess I need to set up for 2m FM next time but I'm not sure I could find anyone there unless arranged in advance. One FN66, K1IM, 144 only. One FN74, VE1SKY, 144 only.

Only one technical problem with sticking relays on my 144 amp. This is a recurring problem. It is a mechanical issue with the relays.

I hope I live long enough to see conditions like that in a VHF contest again. Wow!

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55mf