Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] [222Activity] 222 MHz Activity Night

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] [222Activity] 222 MHz Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 12:43:57 -0400
Hi folks,

N1BUG was my first contact as well. He was very loud even off the back of the antenna, so I turned the array NE and he peaked well over S9 at about +20.  I was surprised to work so many stations with some new ones that made things very interesting. I don't have the log in front of me, but worked KI2L and KI1P for new stations. I got a kick out of N1BUG suffering from Qwertyitis. That is an affliction where you fall asleep at the keyboard and the letters on the keyboard make an impression on your forehead. I learned that from reading Dilbert cartoons.

I tried some FT8 with K3SK when I think he had his amplifier running, but I did not hear anything and I was very disappointed. Yes, it is a long haul, but I was hoping that we could be able to make a contact.  As many have noted, it was rainy and very wet. Conditions were not good and deep QSB was quite evident.  W9KXI varied from S8 to S3 on SSB.  I did work WA3EOQ for an over 500 mile path on CW, and while Howard was rather steady, he was way down in the noise and barely copyable. It made me very glad that I spent so much time & effort in fixing my receiver. I never would have worked him without the extensive filtering.  Digital TV stations are really causing problems and the problem is front and center if you have a good radio location.  Both 222 and 432 required extensive filtering before they started working as they should!

I don't have the list of stations worked, but my QSO tally was 19 stations worked and I missed John WW1Z in my backyard almost! That is quite a number for a drizzly and rainy night. My only long haul impossible sked was K3SK. I did not try any MS or midwest tropo shots all evening. I guess the activity was too great for that, and that is a good thing! I quit just B4 10 PM local time.

73

Dave K1WHS