Re: [VHFcontesting] The K1WHS Chronicles

To: "'David Olean'" <k1whs@metrocast.net>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The K1WHS Chronicles
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 15:52:55 -0300
Thanks for the encouraging note Dave. It's good to hear from you.
I've been around the VHF scene for a long time, starting out as VE1MQ qrv first
on 2m, then 6m.   Even dabbled a little bit on 70cm.  Did that for a # of
years, doing grid expeditions, rovers and others.  Recall working you and
Paul/BUG quite a few times back then.

Then in 1993 I became VE9AA.  I was very active on 6m CW and SSB, but when FT8
hit the scene, most of the activity followed and I've become disillusioned with
VHF.  No amount of convincing will bring me over to FT8 or any digimode.
I have to be satisfied with what I have done on the legacy modes.  I doubt
either total of States(2m) or countries(6m) will rise any (or much) with 98% of
activity now on those modes.

Also, many/most of the locals in VE1/VE9/VY2 have either moved, moved onto
other things, or moved onto the great DX hunting grounds in the sky (RIP OM's)
so the "guys in Maine/NH" are the only ones left. (from my perspective)

There just isn't enough activity to keep me (very) interested in VHF...at least
at this moment.

My initial post was really just complimenting you on your "rah rah" encouraging
posts.  I very much enjoy them.

If I was to ever stumble upon an IC-375A or super compact 222MHz setup of some
kind, I'd build a small 222 yagi and your emails alone would likely be enough
to see me get on....they're that good.

Keep up the great work you and others do on that front.

Mike VE9AA FN66

Mike, Coreen & Corey
Keswick Ridge, NB