[VHFcontesting] Dual fuel generators...

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Dual fuel generators...
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 22:03:27 +0000
Hello to our VHF friends....here is my generator story.  I have a Honda 2000i and it is a great little genset.  It is quiet RF wise, and runs for a long time on a tank of fuel.  Also, there are "extended run kits" that you can get for one that will let it run a very long time on one 5gal gas can.  The main problem with these nifty little units is that there is NO 240VAC available--only 120VAC.  Since most large amps require 240VAC, that is a bad thing.

At the recommendation of NT0B(now SK), I bought a genset off eBay from a company called Factory Authorized Outlet.  It was a DuroMax XP4850EH and there is one there now for $549.  The 4850 is "peak watts", whatever that is, but the unit is good for 3850W continuous--at least according to the specs.  It will run off propane or gasoline and has a battery start with a pull rope backup.  NOTE: FREE shipping.  Since these things are heavy, that is a big savings.

I liked this unit, so I got one just for FD or DXpeditions.  I run mine off propane and I hope to never have to put gasoline in the unit.  Propane does not go bad and turn to varnish like gasoline does when you leave it for a few months.  I got mine out two days ago just for a test run and it worked perfectly. You just attach a propane bottle, set the choke at 1/2 choke and hit the start button.  It cranks a bit to clear the air from the propane line, and then it started right up.  Return the choke to Not Choked and you are up and running.  This unit has a 240AC 4 lug twist lock socket, so you can run your 240VAC amps directly from it.  I want to point out that changing a propane bottle is very easy and it is NOT dangerous like trying to fill up the gas tank with gasoline from a gas can.  This thing has the same propane connector as your propane BBQ grill, so it is something that you should be familiar with.  You can run it from the same propane cylinders that you use for the BBQ grill....but larger ones are available for extended use.

I later found out that there is an identical generator listed from the same company.  It is called a DuroStar DS4850EH.  The tech at Factory Authorized Outlet told me that the two generators were identical except for the paint color...one is green and the other is sort of red-orange.  They are made in the same factory(in China naturally) and everything is the same except for the paint color.  There is one of those on eBay for auction from the same company, but the price is $599--free shipping.  No idea why there is a price difference.

I liked these so much that I got two more of them and gifted them to some friends in the area that did not have a generator, just to they would have something during hurricane season. Power often goes out here during nasty storms....sometimes for 4-5hours and sometimes for a day or two.

I really love the dual fuel concept.  To me it is a BIG DEAL! No I don't have any financial interest in this company, I just like the gensets very much.  3850W is enough to run a big amp or two medium ones.  The one that I have was RF quiet...your mileage may vary.

GL es 73 Marshall K5QE