Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] VHF contest

To: Fred Stefanik <n1dpmfred@gmail.com>, N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] VHF contest
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:52:44 -0500
Hi Fred

If you can't beat 'em...join 'em. I am home and tried to do some FT-8 on six with an 80 meter doublet fed with crappy ladder line. I have worked NH and MA. I also heard WA1T.  Gosh this is exciting.

Actually I spent most of the afternoon dragging a step ladder and tools through the woods and installing another 160 meter beverage antenna. The routine is to lay out a path with a compass and then go along and cut trees that are in the way and remove any brush along the trail. I did that yesterday, and used up a tank of gas in my chainsaw.  Today I went along and installed the insulators and strung up some wire thru the insulators. I almost finished but ran out of 14 gauge aluminum wire.  It sure felt good to come in and sit by the woodstove!! Temp was 3 degrees during the day.  The beverage will be aimed at 150 degrees. That should be good for long path contacts should any ever occur on 160. It is also sorta aimed at Bouvet.

I'll keep an eye on six meters for some DX.  N1SV was -20 here.

Dave K1WHS