[VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF Operating & Contesting

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, PNWVHFS Google Group <PNWVHFS@googlegroups.com>, wswss@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF Operating & Contesting
From: n6ze via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 17:46:23 -0800
From my end of the world (DM04) in SoCal, “typical VHF/UHF (non repeater)
operating” is not the same as it is for hams located in EL95, FN42, or CN87.
Each area of the country has significantly different local advantages &
disadvantages.

VHF contesting is NOT “one size fits all”.

In some areas, making 2 QSOs on 2 meters is tough, while making 100 QSOs on 70
cm is easy.

In SoCal, mountainous obstructions do plenty to make comms tough!

For years, I’ve endlessly advertised VHF contests at local clubs to encourage
activity. It helps a bit, but a lot of the 1 million U.S. hams have interests
other than calling “CQ Contest” on 1296.1 MHz.

Enough of my soapboxing! I’m gonna rove tomorrow

Bt73
Pete,n6ze

Sent from my iPhone