Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom IC-9700 for contesting

To: Paulrollinson@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom IC-9700 for contesting
From: Jeff Townsend <wb8lyj@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 08:45:31 -0500
Hi Paul

I don’t have a 9700 but know a few people that do.

Interfacing to wsjtx should be straight forward.
All that is needed is a USB cable between the 9700 and the computer.

If you plan to run wsjtx on 432 or 1296 you will need to spend some more money
to lock the 9700 to a GPSDO.
The 9700 has drift issues that are worse on those bands.
Look at the Leo Bodnar GPSDo and injection kit.

I will leave the question about TX delay to others.

> On Dec 2, 2021, at 8:17 AM, Paulrollinson@sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>

> I'm looking for some reviews on this rig for 2/432/and maybe 1296
> contesting.
>

> Specifically, amp and pre amp control (SSB Mast mount on 2M), key delay
> function?, wsjt-x interfacing.and anything else you care to add.
>

> I know any new rig will be better but it's a big coin for this item and I
> have no plans of using Dstar.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Paul Rollinson, KE1LI
>
> FN41AU