Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] Tuesday means 222 night!

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] Tuesday means 222 night!
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 18:04:12 -0400
Things were a bit slow on 222 last night, when compared to  last week. One look at the Hepburn map and depression could set in. The northeast had no tropo enhancement at all. There was some minor enhancement down south, but the bands are always doing something in the South! Poor conditions did not matter much as there was quite a bit of activity and long haul contacts were still very possible. One of my CQs was answered by KO4YC who is just north of Richmond, VA and over 500 miles distant. His signal was really great at S5 on CW.

There is some activity in the southeast and a bit in the midwest. AJ6T is banging away on 222 from the Nashville area with all of ten watts. N1GC was also on along with W5EME in LA, and WG8S in EM64. I think AA9MY was in there too.  I worked about the same lineup as WZ1V.  Out west, the only station heard was W9KXI in FN12.  There were some severe T storms around Toronto and that drove away the activity. KR1ST and NZ3M were worked on FT8. AJ6T heard me on meteor scatter on the FT8 freq.

This coming weekend is the ARRL September VHF contest weekend.  I have no 144 antennas, so it looks like I might be on just 222 and 432 if I am lucky.  I was hoping to work on the 432 problems today, but the winds were too high and I did not feel comfortable trying to climb on such a windy day.  I ordered some new rotators for 432, but they are back ordered apparently.

Good luck to all his weekend. A big Thank you to all who made it on for the 222 Activity Evening as well. It sure is fun to work stations on that band!

73
dave K1WHS