Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity Night N2SLO FN30JU and K1WHS

To: Alex <alex@kr1st.com>, David Pearl <dpdiamond@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity Night N2SLO FN30JU and K1WHS
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 11:24:50 -0400
Hello Alex

I think the problem is related to geography.  Your location is at right angles to the average direction of most QSOs.   No one is routinely aimed in your direction. I am aimed towards you quite often, but I suspect you are not aimed at me  all that often. Incidentally, between 7:15 and 7:35 PM, I was aiming NW ragchewing with Stu, VE2XX.

Many years ago, I had a single 144 MHz array consisting of 4 X long yagis.  I made that antenna as I was quite a distance from the activity centers on the East Coast. (NYC-Philly) It worked very well.   In analyzing contest logs, however, I noted that I missed many stations within range. Why is that?   The reason is that sharp antennas only illuminate a small area. If you have 360 degrees to cover, you will only be pointing at a certain area for a very tiny slice of available time.  Now imagine that the other station that you are looking for has a sharp antenna. Now the problem is multiplied by a huge amount.  A 20 degree beamwidth needs 18 adjustments to cover 360 degrees.

The solution is a wide beamwidth antenna, or possibly a fixed yagi aimed at high activity areas and the ability to hear both yagis. I made a few antennas to solve my problem. On 222, I have a fixed antenna that covers 180 to 270 degrees. I have a small yagi that aims northeast. Then I have a rotatable yagi array that covers 360 degrees.  I am planning to install two unused 16 element yagis  that can be manually rotated for meteor scatter. Not sure where they will fit!   Every QTH is different, but being outside of an activity area presents certain problems.

This past Tuesday evening was interesting. Lots of variation in signal strength. I worked K1RZ early on with very poor signals. Honestly, Dave was barely audible. Later on I heard him trying to work WA1T and he was S7 and steady! Quite a difference.  Overall, the band seemed down a bit. WA3EOQ was barely audible this time. I only heard him on QSB peaks and then wispy weak.  KO4YC at 520 miles or so was still OK copy on SSB.  The exciting part was the activity. There were stations all over the place.  K1TEO got on and Jeff's big signal was instrumental in building up the activity.  I heard many stations calling him. Remember.....Activity breeds activity!   W1JR was on and he is fixing up some of his VHF antennas again. It was great to hear Joe on 222.  John, W2BYP ( Bippy) had a big signal from Western NY. It was great to have ex WB2BYP show up! There was quite a group on from the Philly area too. I talked to Brian, N3EXA a few times, and always with a pretty good signal. Brian and I were ops together at N3NGE in the January contests.  KA3FQS, K3JJZ,and N3RG were all on and making noise. Somehow, I missed old buddy Jerome, K3GNC. He was in there too. Between 7 and 9 PM, 222 was hopping.

N9HF was on from N Florida, but noted no local activity. I told him I was  going to call him after about 01:15 UT on FT8 (222.080) but I think he QRTed. I called him for awhile. It was a good test of my repaired preamp box relay. It survived the transmit sequences on FT8. Next is to see what happens with JT-65!    AJ6T is on from Nashville area in TN. He decoded W5EME but no one else. That is a long haul of about 500 miles. I tried calling with no luck, but I am almost 1000 miles away, so an impossible path without a good inversion going on.  I quit a bit after 10 PM.

My impression is that we have hit a critical mass here in the NE. Having the likes of K1RZ in MD,  and K1TEO in CT , really expands the reach for stations who are trying to hear others on the band. The western NY stations are doing very well in that regard too. KA2LIM, W9KXI, N2JMH, W2BYP, and KD2LGX do very well keeping that area "lit up".    VE3DS and VE3ZV were absent this time, but are usually in there most Tuesdays.  I am getting reports that people are now looking for 222 MHz gear to join in on the fun.

73

Dave K1WHS