[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:54:03 -0400
Tonight is 222 Activity Night.  I try to be QRV around the calling frequency between about 7P to 10 PM local time. I had mentioned that KA6U might be on to add a little spice for those on the East Coast.  Unfortunately, Peter cannot be on for the evening. I was under the mistaken assumption that he was staying right where he was operating, but there is a multi hour drive involved to get back to his HQ after running skeds all day.

I do have excellent intel that K1PXE has gotten his rotator fixed. All of us northern New Englanders are in for a treat now that Pete can aim at us. No more multi path! No more fading into the noise. Now we get to hear K1PXE in all his radiant glory!

Remember to monitor some chat pages if you want to try any long haul sked type QSOs. ON4KST is well used.  Ping Jockey might be another choice for any MS activity.  If you do try anything out of the ordinary, why not provide a short report here to let people know what happened! For my part, I want to try a Q65 sked with a station that is over 500 miles away.  I have not had too much luck extending my range with FT-8.  I think having multiple signals present reduces the effectiveness of the mode. I know last week, I was copying K1DS on FT8 just fine, but when another station came on, I never heard K1DS again.  Frequency difference was about 50 Hz, so there may have been some QRM issue.  With an audio passband full of many signals, there must be some deteriorating effect.  So I am thinking that Q65 on a specific frequency should be an interesting test.

CU on 222

Dave K1WHS