[VHFcontesting] 144 Es opening

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 144 Es opening
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 20:26:21 -0400
This evening from FN55mf I worked:

W0KRX EN34 - SSB
K0JQA EN31 - SSB
KE0SIS EN22 - FT8 1305 miles
WO0Z EN34 - SSB
N8CC EN72 - FT8 watery sounding (FAI ???)

The EN34 stations were in for over an hour. My CQs on SSB and FT8 went mostly unanswered. Very few stations active.

The Es MUF map at DX Maps did not really show much of this! When the opening started it showed no MUF anywhere near 144 MHz. But the APRS VHF propagation map showed a massive Es opening at the same time! I strongly suggest watching both maps! The format of the APRS map has recently changed and it now shows Es paths with purple lines... VERY nice!

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55mf