[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Nights

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Nights
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 15:18:18 -0400
It has been about a month since we started the 222 activity nights.  It is going. quite well in some areas. Not sure about other areas. It is a big country after all!  I am not a member of many VHF reflectors, so have only been pushing the idea to The Northeast area, VHF Contesting, and the 222 activity group. Hopefully, the word is being spread to other areas.

In my area, there is a pretty good group of dedicated people who try to get on each Tuesday night. Of course, life can always get in the way, but, for the most part, a good group shows up most Tuesdays. Some calls heard often include: WW2Y, KO4YC, VA3ELE, VE3ZV, VE3DS, WZ1V, N1SV, K1PXE, N3RG, KA2LIM, K2AEP, and W9KXI among a few others! Quite a list and it sure is fun seeing who you can work and say hello to.

This last Tuesday, May 25, was quite good generally, with warmer air on average causing local signals to rise. The real long haul contacts still can be troublesome, with little or no enhancement. I listen to the K1IIG/B beacon and it seems to be stronger of late. Signals from 500 mile distances do not show much change however. The good news is that 500 mile contacts are being made on CW.  Contacts in the range of 450-525 miles included VE3DS, VE3ZV, VA3ELE, and KO4YC.

I puttered around with my HV supply for the 222 amplifier. My step start died due to builder error. I mistakenly used a 115 volt coil relay and put it across 230 volts AC.  I found another relay with a 115 volt coil, but could not get it to work properly. Part of the problem was caused by having a Variac in the primary. Once I drew out the  circuit I saw my problem, and tried to put some series resistance in the relay coil ckt and put it across the 230 volt line. (not from one side to neutral) The problem is that the relay draws different currents while it is trying to pull in, and then when it is fully energized.  I got it to pull in, but then the current dropped and the voltage soared to 170 volts. This would eventually cause another smoke event, so I abandoned that idea. My solution was to find a 230 volt coil relay.  Another solution would be a 230 to 115 volt step down xfmr.  VE2XX uses varistors. That sounds good, but my surge is especially severe, since I am using 12 X 2000MFD 550 volt electrolytic caps. Being a capacitor input supply with very high peak currents, I wanted to keep any stray resistance away from in front of those capacitors! It is 166 MFD! Power supply regulation under load is a problem.

I did not get a chance to try any impossible contacts this time. The distances between 450 and 650 miles would be fun to try. We just need activity in the right places, and have gear that is capable of some long haul DX.  Maybe some increased activity on 222 MHz might convince some hams to  get active and / or upgrade their setups?  222 can be a fantastic band, but I don't need to tell you all about that!  CU all next week.

73

Dave K1WHS