Re: [VHFcontesting] Conditions and the digital modes

To: JamesDuffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Conditions and the digital modes
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 10:19:46 -0700
James you bring up some good points about the utility of using the digital
modes to make contacts when band conditions are flat.

I will say for the last several years I have been focusing more on the digital
modes on 50 MHz (especially MSK144) as they give me a much higher certainty of
at least making some contacts from remote areas in the absence of a band
opening.   I have been told that this is at times frustrating for other
operators who don't want to use the digital modes and I have made a number of
efforts to accommodate those operators, but from a perspective of making QSO's
from remote places during flat band conditions the digital modes have a lot of
advantages in my view.

I do try and keep an eye on the analog calling frequencies when running digital
modes with a band scope but it is not the same as continually listening to the
calling analog calling frequency hoping for a band opening.  Even if I detect a
band I may or may not want to stop running digital and jump on the analog
frequencies (especially if I am part of the way thru a digital QSO.)

  I don't think there is a single right answer to this issue and at this point
I remind myself this is only a hobby (:

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ