Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8 on 222 & 432 during SPRINT

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8 on 222 & 432 during SPRINT
From: Jay RM <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 11:02:53 -0600
The choice of frequency makes little difference to me, either.  But, it's
had to find guys if every little region has its own 'channel'.  If there
truly is a consensus on FT8 (and meteor scatter) frequencies, I will start
suggesting them in place of the regionals people are using.

Yes, different frequencies for M/S and FT8 tropo/whatever is probably a
good idea.  I'm already seeing some QRM problems on M/S.  Pings are SO
short and intermittent that it's hard to tell who's who if you're in range
of more than one station transmitting.  Some radios still drift on 222 so
looking at "offset" can be problematic in figuring out who is who.

As far as legacy stability, yes, you are right !  I recently worked a guy
on 222 and then 2M who was within 10 Hz of my GPSDO locked frequency.  I
congratulated him on his accuracy and he told me the radio was just an old
FT-736 that he took some care to calibrate once in a while.  There are
plenty of NEW radios that aren't that close...

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.