Re: [VHFcontesting] Harris amp on 222

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Harris amp on 222
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 12:20:56 -0400
I have one of the Harris channel 11 amps which I use on 222. I have been somewhat disappointed with it. A friend bought one from the same source and reported it would do 1100 watts out (He backed off and ran it at less, I think). Mine maxes out at 800W out with 45W drive. It will not do any more no matter how hard it is driven. That is with 51V under load from a power supply that is more than capable. I haven't been able to find the reason why mine is so much lower than another. I will add that as received the bias was *way* off on some of the FETs. I went through the bias setting procedure per the Harris manual but it did not get me any more output. Some of the quarter modules run cooler than others. I think they are just tired and need new FETs. The efficiency is the same as you are seeing: in my case 1800W input for 800W out.

73,
Paul N1BUG